Accountancy Tutor – Learn to Finance
Hi, I’m Emma and I offer bespoke tuition and training in bookkeeping and accountancy. I have just set myself up in business as a private tutor, under the name of Learn to Finance Ltd.
My background is Local Government Finance, spending 20 years working for Exeter City Council. During my time there, I achieved my AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) qualification (1999) and my CIPFA (Chartered Institute of Public Finance & Accountancy) qualification in (2012).
I worked my way up to Systems Accountant over time and, during my last few years at the Council, I worked on the project team for implementing a new finance system. As well as learning all about the new system, I was also involved in writing the training manuals and creating the training sessions and loved every minute of it.
After the system went live in 2008, I continued my training role and made it my own; creating further manuals and training courses to run. I soon found I had a real joy out of teaching but my accountancy role, less so. This very shy woman had finally found something she really enjoyed, and it involved talking in front of people, who knew?!
In July 2013, I achieved the PTLLS (Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector) teaching qualification. A short teaching course aimed at the post 16 sector. I had two reasons for wanting to take this course - a) to improve my training skills and b) to open up more opportunities to move into teaching. In December 2013, I took voluntary redundancy from the Council to move onto pastures new…
Fast forward to the present day and I now have two and a half years’ experience teaching AAT to distance learning students through my previous employer. I have now decided to go it alone and create my own teaching career.
As I mentioned at the beginning, I’m a relative newcomer. At the moment, I offer the following:
· Bespoke tuition – this can be either one-to-one or small groups and will be tailored to your needs depending on the stage of your accountancy or bookkeeping studies.
· AAT Revision Packs – I have written and produced exam revision packs, based on the current AAT syllabus for the Foundation and Advanced Levels. Free sample pages are available to download on my website.
Over the next few months I will be introducing the following:
· Introduction to Bookkeeping – I’m currently in the process of writing an Introduction to Bookkeeping course book, which can be complimented with an Introduction to Bookkeeping Taster Course if required. The aim of this course is to get a feel for the subject and ‘is it for me?’. It will be aimed at those who’ve not studied, or worked, in this field before.
· AAT Revision Courses – I will be running AAT Revision Courses for students approaching their final exams.
· Making Sense of Financial Documents – this is a one-day, AAT accredited course aimed at finance admin staff who process sales and purchases invoices and handle cash transactions on a daily basis. It will also cover bank reconciliation. Delegates will be awarded with an AAT Certificate.
This is just the beginning! My long-term goal is to become an independent training provider and build up a library of courses and course materials along the way.
I would be more than happy to discuss any bookkeeping or accountancy training requirements with you, large or small. For example, maybe you would like someone to write a finance system guidebook for you and your business, the training doesn’t have to be AAT related.