Is anyone else struggling with procrastination at the moment? So many articles are talking about all of the extra time that so many of us have, during these ‘unprecedented times!’ Somehow, despite this, I am not always as productive as I think I could be! Maybe it is the actual scale of the tasks you think you need to do?
Is this one of those weeks where you look at your to-do list and it’s as long as your arm (and then some?).
That feeling of overwhelm, sometimes, makes me feel physically sick, with a total brain blank and slightly spinning feeling.
If you are a busy business owner; plus mother, plus housekeeper, plus wife, plus daughter and now for many plus teacher, sometimes that to-do list can feel really overwhelming – which means you may be procrastinating and not doing the really important stuff, or feel like there is just too much to do on the huge list.
Here are five simple steps you can do quickly and easily to get a handle on this situation:
(You’ll need to set aside around an hour to complete the exercise)
1) Make ONE long master list of EVERYTHING that’s in your brain right now, on all of your to-do lists or written on scraps of paper tucked in the bottom of your handbag.
2) Add up the number of items on that list and divide it by five. That’s the number of items you want left on your list by the end of this exercise. Why? Because the 80:20 rule applies to your to-do list. You’ll get 80% of the results you want from 20% of the activities you have planned. Your job now is to work out which.
3) Go down the list, swiftly, and put an asterisk next to only that number of tasks. Not one more and not one less.
4) For every other item, move it either to a ‘someday maybe list’ (so it’s not lost forever, it’s just not going to be done right now) or let it go and delete it (especially if it’s been on there for over a year and you’ve STILL not done it!)
5) Make sure you now have a clean, fresh copy of that remaining 20% of your to-dos.
Wiping 80% off your to-do list is one of the fastest ways I know to get out of overwhelm, into focus and start moving forwards again.
If you are a busy female business owner, why not come and join us at one of our monthly networking meetings. An upside of this serious situation, is that you can visit all of our meetings and webinars from the comfort of your own home, leaving you time to finish that work. We have great professional development sessions, in all of our meetings, to support you in continuing to be a great business owner.
Pop over to our Events page to see what is on offer. We look forward to meeting you very soon.